Wednesday, February 18, 2009

And the Drama Continues

As Paul Harvey would say, "and now, the rest of the story:"

After I tried in vain to shake off Bubbles' vicious stink eye, I scurried back to my desk and waited until I heard Thelma in her office and called her.

"Whatcha reckon that's all about?" I asked.

"Ooohh.. they're both madder'n hornets. Ya know they been a'waitin' for their last check so they could go apply for unemployment. Wail.. they got 'em Friday and ya know how every time someone on salary leaves, they always think their last check will be a lot more than it is? Wail.. there ain't no tryin' to explain it to them two. Louise called me Friday night all a raisin' Cain. I reckon they mean to start somethin' over it."

I figure that must be why Bubbles was up here Friday. She probably came to whine to Tiny, her work hubby. I'd be willing to bet she called Bossman too and that's why he was trying to rush us out of here.

By the time I got off the phone with Thelma, it was lunch time. I grabbed my junk and headed up the hall towards the front, passing Tiny's office on the way. The door was shut, but I could hear that they had the Big Headed German on speaker phone and he sounded like he was getting right pissy with them over it.

When I got back to the office, they were still here.

Bubbles was in the foyer with her face buried in the corner, waiting for Louise and talking on her cell phone, pretending she didn't see me. Our foyer is like.. 6ft by 4ft. I am not a small woman. I'm pretty sure she noticed me coming in the door.

But anywho...

I heard Louise in Thelma's office chattering away. I may or may not have used checking the fax machine as an excuse to be nosey.

Thelma, who had recently moved to Louise's old desk, was now back at her desk and Louise was going through all the drawers where she used to sit. There was much slamming. I made a beeline back out of there.

I was half afraid that they were coming back to work.

Thankfully, I was wrong. I was glad I wasn't going to have to give back the good stapler that I'd hijacked off Bubbles' old desk.

I swear, I didn't think they'd EVER leave. But... within thirty minutes of their departure, the Shipping Ho reported that Louise had called her on her way out of the parking lot to tell her everything Tiny and the Big Headed German had said.

Apparently, they were told we had no plans of shutting down, but we would not be hiring anyone back to work for a long, long... loooong time. It was implied that if word got back up to the Asylum that any laid off employees were spreading rumors around town, their layoff status would be re-evaluated. And not in a good way. Louise also said that the Big Headed German informed them that he could guarantee that their pay was correct and there were three people waiting for him to leave for lunch.. kay thanks bye.. and then he hung up.

I may or may not have snorted a little upon hearing that bit.

Louise is fit to be tied. Thelma is confused. All Louise talked about for the past three months was how she wished they'd lay her off. Her prayers were answered. Now she's mad. Go figure.

Louise also reported to the Shipping Ho that both Thelma and I were snots and didn't even bother speaking to them when they were here.

Hello?

I got the hairy eyeball AND was ignored.. but I'm the snot?

Today, it's peaceful at the Asylum and I'm loving it. Bossman is entertaining a potential new sales rep, orders are trickling in and it's getting close to lunch time. It's all good.

Ya'll have an exceptional Hump Day. Hump it like horny toad on holiday.

Later Taters!

P.S. MysticFirefly asked if I had a character list to help her keep track of who's who here at the Asylum and around Frog Pond Holler. Unfortunately, I don't. I've thought about it a few times, but that's as far as I've gotten. So... in an attempt to help the newer readers get acquainted with the folks here, I'm offering up a few of my favorite posts featuring the residents of Frog Pond Holler.

Sex Education in Frog Pond Holler: featuring Bubbles and Louise and introducing the Dildo Phone

Bacterial Infection: Bubbles gets "the bacteria" and we all suffer

We'll Need to Move the White House: Thelma and Louise misplace the District of Columbia

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the links my dear! Appreciate it a lot!!

Dianne said...

I love the one where they misplaced DC - hehehehehehehe

have a happy hump day

A Spot of T said...

My goodness it just doesn't end with those two. Thanks for the links. I remember reading two of them but the DC in Canada one? Hadn't read that one!! Good grief but I laughed hard!

kenju said...

"It doesn't end with those two" - thank God! What would you have to write about? LOL

Mahala said...

Pretty much just flatulence and self inflicted knitting wounds :)

tiff said...

Whoa - drama llama indeed.

A whole HERD of the critters, if you're asking me!

BetteJo said...

I'm SO happy that my office tends to be almost drama-free - but every once in a while I'm a bit jealous of all the excitement!

Traci Dolan said...

Are you sure you don't work in a restaurant??? Wow. I'd forgotten what small towns are like.

Me said...

I'm just in awe that you've been able to write such detail about the Pond and yet haven't gotten caught! LOL.

I have SUCH stories from work but know I'd be busted. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm with ya, Meritt lmao