Thursday, May 17, 2012

Marie Laveau and The Lonesome Horny Toads

It's rained so much in the holler, that my evening strolls between RV and trailer are getting a little treacherous. Aside from the deepening puddles that are popping up all along my trail, there are also a growing number of frogs, which sound like they gotta be the size of a goat, echoing their gruesome love songs in to the night air.

Just the other night, I was telling a friend how I thought my little holler was gradually "going back to nature," to it's previous swampy state and how I distracted myself on my nightly tiptoeing through the bog by humming the few bars of an old song I remembered bits and pieces of about an old swamp witch. I was pretty sure it was by Jim Stafford.

Come to find out, there is a song called Swamp Witch by Jim Stafford (who, by the way, is still going strong in Branson, MO) but after finding the track online, I realized that wasn't it.

It was actually Bobby Bare and this was the song:




That'll get your toes to tapping.

We'll talk again soon. Later Taters!

Pin It

4 comments:

kenju said...

The frogs serenade us here all night long, by the water on top of the pool cover (which is rife with toad roe).....lol

Anonymous said...

I loved that song when I was a kid!

Biff B.

tiff said...

You need a nice big flashlight! Got to see where you're stepping, so it's not in a pile of frog goo.

BetteJo said...

Don't know if I've ever heard of Bobby Bare but those are some mighty fine tie on the front, tight in the back bell bottoms he has on! Lol!