Friday, February 18, 2011

Hot Gossip in The Holler

It's cloudy and cool in the holler this morning. The skies are dark and ominous, teasing us with the promise of an atmospheric disruption of some kind before the day is done.

Just the way I like it.

The turmoil isn't just in the sky over the holler, the townsfolk are all stirred up, with tongues waggin' wildly over the latest Frog Pond Holler gossip, involving Shannon, one of only two tellers down at the bank.

I've always felt sort of connected to Shannon, in a weird sort of trailer trash way. Not only do we share the same Rubenesque figure, but she favors most of the women on Ma's side of the family with jet black hair and fair skin.Which is weird, because Shannon was almost my sister.

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but for Ma, getting pregnant was a nightmare. She was on fertility drugs for five years before she had me, had multiple miscarriages and used to be quick to point out, "and look what I got stuck with."

But anywho...

When Shannon's mother was pregnant with her, her family encouraged her to put the baby up for adoption and word traveled back to Norfolk, via the family news/gossip pipeline, sending Ma and that asshole pervert she was married to and Pa back home to the holler to see if they could get themselves a youngin. But bringing home baby Shannon just wasn't in the cards for them I reckon, because her Mama changed her mind and decided to keep her.

I have no idea if Shannon knows any of this and it's not the kind of thing you wanna bring up while you're standing in line at the bank.

Anywho, last Friday, Shannon packed up all her stuff at quitting time, exchanged tear filled goodbyes with Jeraldine, the other teller, and took off for Georgia to meet up with some man she met on the internet.

That alone would be scandalous enough if it weren't for the fact that Shannon leaves behind bubbahubby #4 and FIVE youngins.



Hellfire and damnation, if I had five youngins I'd be runnin' off with someone too. Or without someone. I'd just be runnin' like hell. Off a cliff.

In other news...

The black plague of death, mucus and coughing so hard you pee yourself crud has made a second round at the Asylum. This place sounds like the TB ward at the sanitarium. You have to keep your head low, lest you be accosted with a can of Lysol.

I'm so sick of snot and phlegm.

Oh and? The doc's nurse called me yesterday. It's now official. I have diabetes. I get to go back next Tuesday to get lectured on being old and fat figure out what "we" are going to do. I see a future filled with Glucerna shakes and water bottles.

It's coming off and no one's cutting me open to do it.. which will probably be a fight between me and the good doc, but I stand firm on that point.

Soooo yeah. That's the current state of Mahala and The Holler. I'm sure we'll talk more soon. Ya'll have a good one.

Later Taters!




Share/Bookmark

6 comments:

kenju said...

I'm really sorry about the diabetes, Mahala. I hope you do what the doc tells you.

Shannon sounds like a winner. Keep us posted on when she comes back with her tail tucked between her legs.

Anonymous said...

Lord mercy. Sounds like it not a good state to be in right now. Hate to hear about the diabetes. So hope you can get through that. I honestly don't know how anyone can even think of leaving home for someone they really don't know. That scares the crap out of me. But I kinda tend to think that most serial killers troll the net looking for their next target. (I watch to much tv...).

tiff said...

sickness = bleah

hot gossip = yow

diabetes = the suck.

Aarin said...

you are still mobile, so thats in your favor. its all about calories in vs calories out. you need to find things to fill you up with little to no calories cuz i know when i'm hungry i'm a total b!tch. get full on few calorie items then exercise like hell. since you have so many furry critters, i suggest taking them on nice long walks. you'll sleep better and they will too. too bad you can't take catzilla on a walk, she'd womp you in the head then drag you into the bushes to eat you i'd fear

Unknown said...

If you lose a lot of weight, the diabetes might possibly just disappear (I assume it's Type 2 & not Type 1). So make it your bitch, and make it disappear!

Mizmudgie said...

Watch what the Dr. prescribes, I found out (when it stopped working) some meds. like GLIMEPIRIDE, just make your pancreas work harder...burning it out faster.
I have had good results with LANTUS U-100 INSULIN. 1 shot at bedtime.