Monday, October 04, 2010

Batten Down the Hatches

A Walk Around the Holler 012

The air has finally turned cool for the long haul here in Frog Pond Holler. For this I am truly thankful.

After last year's battle with the snow, half of December without electricity and last week's little reminder, The Amazon and I have been trying to get prepared. I picked up a clearance rack BBQ grill with the groceries on Saturday. Now we can cook without my having to squat in an unladylike manner in front of the fireplace for extended periods of time, leaving me to stagger around like Quasimodo for days on end. We're slowly building up our stock of batteries, the front porch is full of wood and I just ordered my new phone, this time with internet access.

I have my priorities.

I also ordered four new tires for Jolene. Which, her existing tires all have wires hanging out of them, so that wasn't really in preparation for the weather, but they're on their way before the weather hits. I got Pirelli tires, I think I got a good deal, but who knows really. I ordered them off some website. Keep your fingers crossed.

Also this weekend, I made a new coupon system.. thingie. While I adore my Pooh Bear coupon binder, The Amazon admitted that she found it embarrassing to walk into the store with me toting it around like a 44 year old preschooler. Plus, I'd stopped using it because the tedious task of folding the coupons to fit in those little tiny plastic pockets was using up too much of my life that I'll never get back AND we hardly ever get a Sunday paper anymore. I stopped my subscription after the convicted murderer/delivery person left threats against me on my phone because I complained about her.

 Now days I print coupons off the internet, less trees have to die and I access the same coupons that come in the paper, from Redplum and Smart Source. I bought a little plastic box for a dollar and some index cards, made my own filing system and had it ready to roll in minutes.

Of course, now I have a shitload of those plastic sheets that baseball cards fit in. I imagine I'll find a use for them eventually.

Anywho, ya'll have a good one. We'll talk again soon.

Later Taters!


Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

BetteJo said...

Love the pic! Where is it?

Mahala said...

That's the B & B up the road from us. There are a few big Victorian houses left in town :)

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

Coupons are the invention of the devil. The devil, I say!

Why should we get paid via the saving of money through coupons by searching the paper, cutting them out, organizing them and then remembering to bring them to the store? Why the hell can't they just mark down the damn food in the first place?