Monday, September 20, 2010

An Evening With the Blue Ridge Roller Girls



When I was a kid back in Norfolk, we used to watch the roller derby on Sunday afternoons. Back then, there wasn't any such thing as cable t.v. and satellite dishes were used to contact aliens, not watch "real" L.A. housewives discuss their Botox  on the boob tube. You got the three networks plus PBS and maybe a local station. Our channel 27 was owned and operated by a guy named Pat Robertson and would later become the  Christian Broadcast Network (CBN) with it's own ginormous university.

The roller derby we watched was sort of a mix between NASCAR and WWF rasslin'. There may have been rules, but to me it was just a bunch of scary looking women going around in circles, tossing each other over the rails.

The sport we watched Saturday night was slightly more civilized, but it wasn't without it's share of spills and thrills. The crowd was almost as much fun to watch at the actual derby, there were older people, kids and an unusually large number of women who prefer the company of other women, in an intimate kinda way.

*wink wink nudge nudge*

What I'm saying is, there were more spiked crew cuts in that room than in most sailor bars.

I think the best part of the whole evening was when the little old lady behind us found that she was one of the lucky few to find a special red ticket under her seat. She leaned forward to ask us what she was supposed to do with it. The Amazon and I gently explained where she needed to present her ticket to claim her prize. She wondered what it was for, she said she had a hard time understanding the announcer.

Neither of us had the nerve to tell her.

So we watched as she walked up to to the prize table and learned she'd just won a free piercing.

It was great.

There are a few pictures on flickr, they're not great cuz I didn't get up close and personal like I should have. Next time I'll get better ones.

Anywho, I gotta get my nose to the grindstone. Ya'll have a good one. Later Taters!!


Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

BetteJo said...

I asked for pictures and you one up me with video! COOL!