Sunday, August 31, 2008

Kittens, Snapshots and No Thai Guy



Yesterday afternoon, the Amazon and I decided to take a ride through town to check out the vendors and take some pictures. We were expecting kiddie rides, people selling handmade jewelry and the Thai guy. Whenever there's anything going on in town, the guy who owns the Thai restaurant over in Scary Hillbilly Town comes over and sets up a booth. The Amazon usually heads straight for him.

This Labor Day weekend, there was no Thai guy... or kiddie rides or vendors. The wienie wagon and the bandstand were the only "festivities." The fire department couldn't afford to buy fireworks this go 'round either. It was all very deserted looking and sad.

I was disappointed. I took a bath and everything.

I didn't want to come back home, so we stopped at the Pump and Go, bought $20 worth and went out joy riding. I've been experimenting more with black and white photos, so we took it as an opportunity to grab a few shots. The kittens in most of the pictures in the slideshow, live at a vacation rental house up on the lookout. There's a woman in town who has too many cats and is afraid of getting reported, so when they have a litter, she sets them out up at the lookout and supposedly takes them food and water every day.

The kittens were being looked after by the dumpster cat, which I thought was kind of sweet, if not odd. The town dump is across the busy highway from the lookout. There's an adult male cat who lives there. Everyone in town knows him, he's got a little house back behind the recycling bins to get out of the weather and he's not shy at all. When he came over, all the kittens filed in behind him, like he was their leader.

I think the Amazon was going to steal him, but I drug her away.

Anywho, so even though there wasn't any excitement in town, we still had a good time riding around on back roads where every other tree had a "No Trespassing" sign nailed to it, riddled with bullet holes.

There would have been alot more pictures, but the Amazon kept yelling, "Don't take pictures in front of someone's house.. WE'RE GOING TO GET SHOT.. OH..MA..GAWD!!"

It's amazing what becomes entertainment after you've lived here for a while.

I've got dirty dishes and a carpet full of dog hair calling my name. Ya'll enjoy the rest of your weekend. I'll catch ya later.

Later Taters!

P.S. Coupon alert! Get $2 off popular girlie crampy time drugs here. (Not a paid link, just sharing the coupon love.)

7 comments:

Dianne said...

I love the photos! Black & White can be so dramatic and can really enhance the subject.

the sad fair says a lot about our economy. glad you and your girl had fun anyway.

BetteJo said...

Guess you need to take the fun where you find it. I'd miss the Thai guy too!

Anonymous said...

Agrees totally with Dianne, re: B/W. I don't even know where to begin with it, but think they are a lot more powerful than color.

I'd misread another plurk, and thought there was a new resident in the Mahala household, so was surprised when you didn't come home with one of them.

I gots to pay more attention. Also glad you didn't get shot :*)

<3

poopie said...

Ahhaaahah! Now I know where to leave my kittens. I love black and white...yours, are great.

poopie said...

P.S. When I hook up with Sugardaddy, I'll take one of everything in your store!

Anonymous said...

Sorry there was no celebration to snap but the b/w pics were great!
I'm in LA. so we're waiting on Gustav...Catch you later...

Robbie

Significant Snail said...

Part of the joy of having children is being able to embarrass them with our behavior!