Monday, February 18, 2008

Stacking Rocks, Brendan Fraser and Learning to Listen Again


There's a mild chill in the air across the holler this morning. The creek is raging wildly through town, the result of the huge storms we had last night. It's the sort of morning that gets your blood pumping, simply by walking out in to the day.

I was going to tell ya'll about my Scary Hillbilly Town adventure Friday night, but I need to hold off until some ongoing drama plays itself out. I hate to tell a story without an ending. Instead, I'm going to share something a little different, at least to those of you who've recently joined the ranks of Hidden Mahala readers.

Saturday afternoon I kneeled on the floor in front of my hope(less) chest and removed the lid to my little desert-garden-terrarium-thingie. As I watered the plants, taking care not to get the cacti wet, drizzling the liquid from my china tea cup, I watched how the water hitting the rocks made them twinkle in the sunlight. In my mind's eye, an image from a television show flashed across the screen in my head. I saw a man on the beach in San Francisco, stacking rocks, creating temporary statues at the edge of the surf. In the next instant, I saw the little house here in town where the Indian guy lives, whose yard is lined with little stone stacks which seem to defy gravity.

Feeling inspired, I began to build tiny statues from the pebbles lying around in my cactus garden. I wasn't able to go very high and most of them slid off three or four times before I got it right, but it was kinda neat.. and weird. I wondered how I'd explain myself if the Amazon walked in seeing her mother 42 years old, sitting in the floor playing with rocks and dirt.

Yesterday, I was taking advantage of the Amazon being at work, sitting on the couch with my feet propped up, hogging the t.v. remote all to myself. The brain candy I'd settled on had gone off and was followed by a new Snoop Dog video, which was all retro and freaky, cracking me up. I started flipping through the movie channels.. then I stopped.

The scene was Brendan Fraser, methodically stacking rocks.

I've seen the movie before,"Still Breathing," it's what the Amazon refers to as "one of those fate movies" that I love. Sort of along the same lines as "Serendipity" or even "Dragonfly," that everything happens for a reason. I settled in and watched the whole thing again. No way am I going to ignore such an obvious sign from the Universe to pay attention.

There are a bunch of parallels in this movie to some stuff going on in my life right now, stuff I can't really go in to. I'll just say this: It's exactly what I needed to see, right when I needed to see it.

That's how the Universe works, we just have to learn to pay attention.

Ya'll have a butt kickin' Monday.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you just love it when it all comes together....even if just for a few brief moments???!!!!

Hope this is the start of a GREAT week for you....

Robbie

Anonymous said...

Wow, I wish stuff like that happened to me!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, freaky and cool! I love the parallels and agree that they are little lessons that we need to stop and think about.

kenju said...

oooh, the synchronicity is terrific! I can't wait to hear all about it.

Anonymous said...

Well, good on you, Mahala. Love it when things happen like that. Love your mini stonehenge too!

Jeni said...

When I awoke this morning, the sun was shining -not vividly but nonetheless, it was a bit sunny; looked like the beginning of a nice day. An hour later, it had clouded over, no sun able to peek through at all and it set me off. Put me in a mood just as grey and damp as the weather forecasts for today had initially predicted things would be. A full week ahead they had said of precipitation -of some sort -rain, freezing rain I suppose, snow, sleet -all those junky things that I hate having come at me with a full week's supply. Oh well, I'll check in to your blog every day for a little dabble of other sunshine to brighten my drab life. I have faith that you will bring me some good entertainment with your stories.

Dianne said...

"That's how the Universe works, we just have to learn to pay attention."

ain't that the truth. I loved reading this, give me a good chill kind of feeling and made me smile and wonder.

Mahala said...

Stuff like this used to happen to me alot, but it's been a while. It still amazes me, after all these years.

poopie said...

You do realize that this means your new job will involve stacking rocks?

Rebecca said...

I loved that you listened to your instincts.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe there's a Brendan Frasier movie I haven't seen. I adore him!

Mahala said...

LOL Poopie.. is it going to involve a prison uniform and being in a chain gang?

bah: :o)

Territerri: girl he is REALLY sexy in this flick.

Unknown said...

Nice, I love synchronicity and I'm glad the Universe rewarded you this go round!

As an aside, do you love Brendan more than Craig!??!!

Mahala said...

Hey Le Rose! Ummm no. I still have the hots for Craiggers. Brendan Fraser is just sexy eye candy lol.

Me said...

I look at your page and... I'm sorry, I can't see anything but the name


BRENDAN FRASER


be still my heart. The one man that has a chance against Coffeehusband? LOL. Ok - him and Criss Angel. ;)