Of Melungeons, Second Life and Polyester Pants


Okay ya'll, I'm late, but at least it's with a meme and not like... the kind of late that inspires you to knit booties.

I'm a little past that stage in my life.. although I hate to admit it.

Bobbi over at Almost There tagged me with this one and I'm embarrassingly late, so let's jump right in, kay?

The Rules:

Link to the person who tagged you.
1. Post the rules on your blog.
2. Share six non-important things/habits/quirks about yourself.
3. Tag six random people at the end of your post, by linking to their blogs.
4. Let each random person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their website.
5. Let your tagger know when your entry is up.

Here's my six:

1. As I child, I was forced to take lucky enough to have bowling lessons. That's right... bowling, of the duck pin variety. This was years before the banjo lessons.


See? That I'm such a hopeless geektard is not purely by accident.


2. My mama dressed me funny for my entire childhood. I wore polyester pants (with the seam up the front) with sweat socks and sneakers. The pants were never quite long enough. Yes.. I was that child. The Amazon says my slacks are still too short, but at least no one throws rocks anymore.


3. Ma also liked to give me home perms, lots of them. Oh and those damned Frost and Tip kits. They seldom turned out as they were intended. Once, while in the hospital for surgery, I was left sitting in the hallway, waiting for a test or something. A nurse told me she thought she'd misplaced me, that from the back I didn't look like a 12 year old, she thought I was an old woman, because of my hair.


Thanks Ma.


4. I grew up thinking I was basically of Irish/German decent with a little Cherokee tossed in. My dad was a terrible racist. It tickles the chit out of me that I've since learned that I'm more Melungeon (a dark skinned racial mix of southern hillfolk) than anything else and that it's mostly on dear old Daddy Bigot's side. Someday I'm going to get up the nerve to laugh in his multi-racial, prejudiced face.


5. I really am an honest to goodness inbred hillbilly. My Mamaw's mother and my Papaw's mother (on Dad's side) both had the same maiden name and were from the same isolated mountain community. I am allowed to make jokes about it but I get a little touchy if others do.


6. Although I've downgraded my account, sold all my land and shut down my virtual business, I still log on to Second Life a couple of times a week. It's a nice escape and I have friends I love spending time with. Living in a remote area like Frog Pond Holler, it's kinda cool to be able to log on to a virutal environment, hang out at the beach, go dancing or just loiter with friends. I'm Mahala Roviana on the SL grid, look me up :)
And there you have it. My six random quirky things. I'm going to break the rules a little and not tag anyone. If you want to grab it, go for it and let me know in the comments. I'll give ya a little linky love.
My intention is to come back later and tell ya'll all about my trip last night to Scary Hillbilly Town, but I'm not making any promises. I don't want Bah to worry over my salvation if life gets in the way again (see previous post comments.)
Ya'll enjoy your Saturday.
Later Taters!
PS: Just in case you were wondering, that's my Mamaw on the left in that picture, with her sisters and brother. There were more youngins after the baby you see there.