Saturday, October 20, 2007

Dubya

Those of you who've been here with me since the beginning, back when I had that "other" blog will remember stories about my neighbor Dubya. I've not written anything about Dubya in a long time, as he's gotten older his antics have gotten fewer and farther between. About two months ago, Lulu had a yard sale and Dubya stopped by. He was constantly trying to find something for nothing and if there was a sale sign somewhere he'd be the first one there. Lulu had commented that when she saw Dubya, his breathing was very labored and he was having a hard time getting around. It was just a couple of weeks later that we heard the ambulance being called to his house, followed a few days later by the delivery of a hospital bed and oxygen tanks.

Dubya is now staying with his daughter in Florida. He's been diagnosed with emphysema and he's only been given a few months to live. I never saw Dubya without a cigarette hanging out of his mouth (or his britches hanging down below his ass crack... but that's another story.)

My granny (that I was named for) died from the same disease and she kept on smoking while she was in the hospital during her last days. I'm not going to get preachy here, because when I quit I promised I wouldn't. I'm just thankful I decided to stop.

Anwho, the coffee is done and there's sausage cooking in the frying pan. Life goes on. I'll keep ya'll posted.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm sorry to hear about Dubya and your granny. This must be sausage day 'cause that's what was cooking here too!

Travel said...

It is sad to see someone, anyone suffer from a preventable illness. Reminds me to try to take better care of myself.

DG

kenju said...

It is sad - but it also makes me angry - to know that someone who could have prevented an illness continued to do what made him/her ill in the first place.

Unknown said...

My mother-in-law, who had COPD, would remove her oxygen mask to smoke a cig several times a day....