Friday, August 31, 2007

Small Town Labor Day

It was evident that it was the beginning of a holiday weekend as I drove through town this morning. The fire department's wienie wagon was sitting down by the used car lot, surrounded by crime scene tape to keep anyone from parking their cars around it. It's not like we need the bright yellow tape for anything else. Seeing the wagon there made me smile knowing I wouldn't be the one standing in there sweating like a sumo wrestler, slinging wienies and mooburgers while everyone else in town gets drunk and dances in the street. I really don't miss that part of being on the fire department at all. I always got stuck on wienie duty, to the point that for a brief time I was known as the "wiener queen."

I could see the band stage set up down by the railroad tracks. It's actually a converted flat bed trailer, complete with ceiling fan to keep the musicians from getting too hot. I've heard that the regular Frog Pond Holler performers won't be playing this weekend and a band from Big City will be providing this years entertainment. The regular band (they have a name, but we've always just called them "Martie and 'nem") is made up of some older folks (the keyboard player taught my aunt in elementary school.) They only know a handful of songs and usually end up having to repeat a few of them before the night is over. I don't know who they have scheduled to take their place this year, but I'm sure it'll be a welcome change.

There will be fireworks on Saturday night and town will be packed to the gills with people from all over. Word has gotten out about Frog Pond Holler's "quaint" small town holidays and as a result, so many people pack in here for the fireworks that any trace of "quaint" is long gone. We can almost see the fireworks from our yard, but I may get a wild hair up my bee-hind and venture into town this weekend. If I do, I promise pictures.

Speaking of pictures, I took a few shots of a deer family out in front of the office the other day, I'll try to get those up for ya'll tonight. I have to make a run to the nail salon and to buy groceries, hopefully I'll have enough sense left when I get back to upload some pictures.

I hope.

I'd better get my nose to the grindstone and make a buck or two for the company. Ya'll have a great Friday!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I would hide inside for the weekend.

DG

Me said...

It's a holiday weekend?????

Honestly - didn't have a clue. That is what having a husband in retails does. Holidays and weekends mean nothing.

Anonymous said...

There's nothing going on in our little town, but the next small town up the road goes all out for Labor Day. They have a parade and everything. And somehow they managed to get some big Pipe Band. If it didn't start so early I'd like to see the guys in kilts. :)

Anonymous said...

I wish there was some 'festivities' going on here this holiday weekend. We don't come anywhere near being quaint. We are about 50 miles from any place that even comes close to being quaint. Go and check things out. It may be fun and it beats sitting in the house all weekend. Just watching the people could be entertaining.

AC said...

Our closest big city has a big fireworks display which I have never seen. I have a thing about crowds - too many meanderers not to mention the long drive home. Sometimes I wish I had a friend with one of those nifty downtown lofts to visit and watch from the rooftops. I mentioned this to my daughter and she proposed we just buy her one!

T is working on Labor Day too, in order to be completely finished with the crazy client by next Friday. He's working today too for that matter. We need to have our own fireworks celebration on that day.

Its finally a bit cooler here. Hope you are feeling the change as well.

Mahala said...

DG: That's usually what ends up happening, but I've had the urge to get out and take some pictures lately. It may be just the opportunity :)

meritt: I know what you mean, Ma worked in retail management for years and I did too for a while. It's thankless and they work you senseless, especially on holidays.

tori: You know I love me some hairy legged men in kilts!!

robbie: If you lived here you could ride your horses in the parade :)

ac: The weather has seemed to take a turn for the better. You should come on down to Frog Pond Holler for the day, it's only about 35 minutes from "Scary Hillbilly Town" (home of the fighting cocks).

Was that evasive enough to confuse stalkers.. yet with enough clues to figure it out? LOL