Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Just Another Day in Mahalaville

I made it home yesterday without having to hike through the woods or slide down the embankment to the creek on my behind (the quicker, yet less pleasant alternative.) Louise was kind enough to offer me a ride home, which I graciously accepted. I wasn't all about schlepping home through the wilderness in my lime green flip flops.

Ma called Leroy yesterday. He lives out in the country on a pig farm and drives the one and only wrecker service on this end of the county. It doesn't matter where you are, if you break down Leroy will come haul you back to town. Sometimes the ride in the cab of his truck is a little rank (especially during hog killin' season) and he'll talk your ear off, but he's always smiling and he'll even offer to buy you a fried baloney sandwich from the BP if the ride is going to be a long one.

Leroy towed the hippy van up to Cletus' garage yesterday, where it was determined that there wasn't anything wrong. It cranked right up for Cletus and it was implied that perhaps I didn't do it correctly. I should interject here that Cletus doesn't hold women in very high regard, finding them ignorant and more useful in the kitchen than working "out on a public job." Needless to say, there's no love lost between Cletus and I, but he's the only mechanic in town. He assured Ma (I didn't talk to him, cussing him out would just leave me without a mechanic at all in the future) that he checked the van over and everything was fine. The Amazon walked up over the ridge and picked it up this morning, in time to bring me the van at lunch.

So for a total of $70.00 (towing and an hour at Cletus') we're told that I'm simply too stupid to put a key in the ignition and turn it.

Doesn't that just grind your grits?

Anywho, I'll count my blessings and move on, until it doesn't start again.

Today is the Amazon's birthday, which she shares with Michael Jackson and the anniversary of hurricane Katrina, so there'll be cake tonight.

Back to the asylum for me, ya'll have a good one.

9 comments:

Travel said...

$70 hurts, but that is better then it being something that costs more then the car is worth. WH's car is in the shop for an air-conditioning repair, and I won't tell you how much the bill is going to be (nearly 10% of what the car cost new.) Hurts, but we are blessed and can pay it.

DG

Anonymous said...

I think Cletus needs an attitude adjustment. Maybe with a tire iron...

BetteJo said...

Question. When you turned the key did it try to turn over? Or did it just do absolutely nothing?

Mahala said...

DG: I should be thankful that it wasn't more, but I'm convinced it needs a starter.

tori: LOL Meet me at the garage! We'll give him "wut fer!"

bettejo: Well, at the very first it whined a little, but after that it wouldn't do a thing. It's been hesitant to turn over lately.. sort of dragging.

Anonymous said...

Hooray for the Amazon! Hooray for Mahala Mama of the Amazon! Boo for Cletus.

Me said...

An ocean themed cake with a monkey faced guy in the middle of it?

Mahala said...

grittles: Big Boo for Cletus!!

LOL meritt.. my creative cake decorating juices have dried up completely, but there was a time when I would have attempted a cake just like that.

AC said...

I had that problem once and, although I have never actually SEEN one, there are some little teeth-like things on a starter wheel (?) that if a couple have broken off, won't catch every time, hence it will start sometimes and others, when the teethlees places are next up, won't? Cletus would probably really enjoy a car conversation with me.

Anyway, I vote for new starter too. Glad you got home without a hike. Happy cake night!

Bert said...

I'm trying to concentrate but I can't - there's this damn thing going on with our boiler being `fixed' at the moment. I can't stand it!