Sunday, October 22, 2006

There's not enough weekend in my week

Friday night, just home from work and putting dinner on the stove, I put a pot of water on for maccaroni. Later, as everything else was nearly ready, I noticed that my water wasn't boiling, so I turned the heat up beneath the pot, almost as high as it would go. Then, when Ma came in to fix herself a plate, she said, "I swear, only you can screw up instant food."

"What?"

I look over and she's holding up the bananas that I'd had sitting on the counter, way too close to the edge of the stove top. They were black.

"But, we can cut the black parts off, they're still good... right?"

She just shook her head and giggled all the way back to her room.

My weekend has pretty much gone downhill from there. I had grand plans to get some stuff done in the yard, clean off the porch. Yesterday morning I took a bag of trash out and headed to the garbage-container-thingie (built with sheets of lattice) out by the curb.

I stopped. I looked in the road.

A big dead snake right by the container. Our garbage is now piled (in bags) on the front porch. I can not make myself go in the yard knowing that thing was once out there.

Oh I can hear you out there.. "But Mahala, its dead, it can't hurt you!"

It doesn't matter. When there are snakely remains in the road in front of the house, they're always traveling away from our yard. This means they were once IN my yard. And everyone in Frog Pond Holler will tell you, "If you see one, there's always another nearby."

Granted, the snake in the road is street pizza and by tomorrow it will be little more than a skid mark on the pavement. I'll take it all to the curb in the morning, tomorrow is trash day anyway.

Lulu and I have been planning to go up to the old cemetary at the edge of town for months now, but we were waiting until we were sure that the slithery season had passed. Just the other day we were debating on whether it had gotten cold enough. Apparently it hasn't.

Ma is sitting here giving a list of all the things she wants me to go to town and get for her. She's not pleased that I didn't buy her any chocolate or Cheetos at the grocery store the other night. Oh and with the fridge full of food, she wants me to stop at the campground store and pick up a pizza for supper. I guess the flaming bananas scared her.

Ya'll enjoy your Sunday!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom sounds like a scream!

DG

Karen Townsend said...

Snakes freak me out, too. My husband, in his bachelor days, kept a phyton. Yeah, that was long gone by the time I met him. And we agreed to the no snakes in my house thing before the wedding!

Anonymous said...

What is it with guys and snakes? My husband brought two black snakes home from the place he is remodeling (he found them in the foundation blocks he tore down) and turned them loose in our wood shed. I know there are rodents there and I know snakes eat rodents and I also know I am not going to the woodshed any time soon. All the wood will be brought in by him and that is that.

Kim said...

I'm so glad you left a comment, been looking for you for MONTHS!!!

Now I have to read back and see what on earth you've been up to. I've missed you!!!

Kim said...

I'm so glad you left a comment, been looking for you for MONTHS!!!

Now I have to read back and see what on earth you've been up to. I've missed you!!!

Mahala said...

kim!!! I though you knew.. I'm sorry! Dang you have a bunch of catching up to do!!! Did you think I'd run away to Vegas? lol