Thursday, October 26, 2006

The Resurrection

It's turned cold here, we had our first good, hard frost yesterday morning. Maybe the snakes are gone.. maybe.

Yesterday Lulu and I were discussing our assorted irrational fears. Mice to her are as snakes are to me. If she sees a field mouse from 100 ft away she goes into screaming hysterics, looking for the nearest thing to climb up on. Although I don't share her feelings for rodents (she is appalled that I have a hamster in my bedroom) I do understand. Lulu isn't fond of snakes, but she doesn't have a complete and total breakdown like I do when I see one. She made the comment that she didn't like seeing dead ones in the road when she's out walking though, even if it's mushed. She just knows it's going to start wiggling around if she gets too close to it.

So today as I neared our property, bee-bopping home for lunch, I saw something wiggling in the road, just next to where there had been a black snake, squashed into street pizza the day before. I nearly crapped, wrecked and met my maker. The dead snake was gone.

Oh dear God it had been resurrected!!! It was like one of those bad horror movies where inanimate objects spring to life and do evil tasks for the big horned dude down under (and I ain't talking Australia here.) Besides, with the hard frost yesterday morning, they shouldn't be out wiggling around. As I waited for my heart to start beating again and a car passed me in the other lane, I realized what had happened. The breeze from the passing car had blown the carcass of the dead snake, now mostly just tough, black, scaley skin, causing it to move across the surface of the road as if it were alive.

It didn't do much for my nerves.. lemme tell ya.

Almost Friday.. hang in there on more day. We'll make it :)

7 comments:

Loner said...

On that day when the world is made new - I hope He skips resurrecting spiders and snakes - and some of those other creepy things that live by the creek. Thanks for a good giggle!

Melissa said...

EEEWWW!

Anonymous said...

Don't
Look
Behind
You...

LOL!

Anonymous said...

The only good snake, is one that I never, ever see. You are right, they are just creepy, Hamsters on the other hand are so cute, and what could a cute little mouse do besides nible on everything in sight?

DG

Uccellina said...

It didn't come back to life. Somebody scraped it off the road and either ate it or used its skin for a belt.

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's like the bad guys in the "Friday the 13th" and "Halloween" movies. It just won't die. Be very afraid.

Bwhahahahahaha!

kenju said...

I saw a big black snake in the road about a month ago, while on the way to deliver flowers. On the way back, the black snake was a mess of red blood on the road. I sort of hated to see him get it like that, since they eat mice and rats for us. Now if it had been a copperhead, I would have cheered!