Saturday, June 17, 2006

Chillin' and Venting

IT'S FIXED!!!!

($341.00 later)

Thank goodness. The repairman came back yesterday with a motor for the blower. It took until about ten last night before it really started to cool off in here enough to leave the computer on, life is definitely better. Of course, I don't have enough money in my checking account to cover the check I wrote, so I'm going to have to scramble at lunch Monday to try to figure out how to get a cash advance on my Visa card and put it in the bank.

I stretched out on the couch around 9:30 and before long I was out. I stirred once to the sound of dishes knocking around, thinking the Amazon was in there fixing herself something to eat. Imagine my absolute delight to wake up (just in time for the Late Late Show) to discover that she hadn't been cooking, she'd been WASHING DISHES!!! I thought I was dreaming. Then she went out and fed Ozzy (I usually have to beg, she's terrified of spiders around the dog lot.) I was then informed that at some point during my nap, Ma had come looking for me to rub cream on the weird itchy things on her back, but the Amazon had done that as well.

Now that's love right there.


I've made it a policy of sorts, to never discuss things of a political nature here. I do read a number of politically charged blogs with varying points of view, but I just didn't want my corner of the blogosphere to be about that. I don't always agree with the opinions of the authors which I read, but I respect what they have to say and I think it's important for people to understand where each other is coming from in order to find solutions to the problems in our world. I feel the same way about religion, I think it's more important to create an atmosphere of understanding than it is to be "right" or win the argument.

Living in this town (which really needs a new pseudo name, for blogging purposes) I've felt that I have to keep my opinions to myself, being so outnumbered that it's counterproductive to even let my opinion be heard, creating conflict and anger, regardless of how careful I am to be tactful. Yesterday, when the repairman was here, the network news broadcast playing on television and he being the good ol' boy that he is, he felt he should voice his opinion on the situation in Iraq. And although he was in my house, on my turf and mistakenly thinking his opinion would be popular in my home, I tried to avoid conflict and as a result tried to crack a joke, still keeping my opinion to myself. He was, afterall, still fixing the ac and I really didn't think it would be wise to voice my opinion. The joke went over his head, defeating the purpose entirely.

I hadn't really thought about it anymore until I turned on the boob tube this morning to see more people voicing their distaste with the Dixie Chicks and ya know, it made me realize, I really need to get some things off my chest. I am going to be as honest as I can here and I know it'll draw fire, but sometimes ya gotta do, what ya gotta do.

So here you have it, in list form, a skimming of the surface of what I think...

  1. I am not a Republican, a Democrat or a Liberal. By birth, by God and by choice I am an American. Period.
  2. I am not Caucasian, African American, Native American, Hispanic, Hindi or Turk, and I am all of the above. My race is Human. All of my ancestors, with exception to my American Indian grandmother, were immigrants looking for a better life.
  3. I don't like George W. Bush. It's my right as an American to say that.
  4. I don't believe in violence, hatred or "justifiable homicide." I think war is wrong. I don't have all the answers, but I'm not a politician and it's not my job to figure it out.
  5. I did not vote in the last presidential election. People will say that voids my right to complain. Give me someone worthy of my vote. Good luck with that.
  6. I support our troops. I pray for them. My heart breaks for every soldier and civilian who dies, for their mothers, fathers and children. Every soldier and civilian. Not just the Americans. See #2.
  7. I don't believe in abortion, but if you've had one, I'll still love you. I won't judge you, think badly of you or try to convince you that you have to believe what I do. I do not associate myself with people who parade around with pictures of mangled fetus' in picket lines. I think that's wrong.

If I've made anyone angry, so be it. This simply and honestly, is just me. I don't plan to start going off about politics, I don't want to be about that. There are plenty out there who write about their views and I'll continue to read them, whether I agree or not. I understand where they're coming from and it's their right to be individuals with their own thoughts and feelings.


Whew!!! Well that was therapeutic. But now that I've got my head in a serious place, and we just can't have that for long periods lest I get all angsty and downtrodden, I'm going to go watch t.v. and find my happy place. Ya'll have a good weekend.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear things are cooling again. How did we ever live before AC?

Go ahead and vent. It is good for you. You are not alone in many of your beliefs . . . but that is as far as I will go (don't want to make any one mad at me.)

DG

poopie said...

Amen sista. I so understand the runnin'-out-at-lunch to cover the check thing. We do what we have to do to survive.

Me said...

$341 ? OMGosh... ouch. I swear you could have bought a BRAND NEW ONE at Lowes for less than that. Dang.

As for the service man starting to spout his thoughts... I had the guy at McDonalds do that to me last week! LOL. I was in drive-thru and just as I was pulling away the guy makes some comment about how George Bush isn't teaching our kids how to read these days.... I of course felt the need to let him know how wrong that statement was, and about how school districts are set up and how the local districts have control over what is/isn't taught in the schools... yada yada.

I kept trying to be quick and pull away since there were people behind me waiting... but this guy kept bringing up new issues and topics! LOL. I finally just had to laugh and leave.

Sheesh! :)

Anonymous said...

Bless you! (NOT in the Southern way)

LOL!