Religion, Politics and Other Touchy Subjects

In an effort to not think about:

#1 The fact that the Amazon is out with Aunt Moses learning to drive a straight shift and

#2 When I called Bossman to find out if I need to work Monday or not, he said, "Yeah, come on in Monday, then I can let you know what's going to happen,"

I've decided to focus on the award I received from MJ at Note to Self:



"The honorees are to: A) first list 10 honest things about yourself - and make it interesting, even if you have to dig deep! B) pass the award on to 7 bloggers that you feel embody the spirit of the Honest Scrap."

So here goes:

1. I spend alot of time convincing people that I'm not all about this small town living, but late at night when no one's looking, sometimes I watch the RFD channel. Dude... the original Hee-Haw comes on Sunday nights!

2. People around the holler like to whisper that I'm a lesbian because I speak out about gay rights and I've only had one date in the last ten years. Just for the record.. I'm not. I'm totally all about me some winky action. As a matter of fact, I think that will be my one New Year's goal. Winky action... gettin' some. You heard it here first.

3. I love watching the World Music videos on Link TV.

4. I also like to practice belly dance moves when no one's looking. One of my aunts danced professionally and taught me a few when I was little.

5. On my bedroom bookshelf, there are angels, a Buddha, a wooden box with Romani symbols, a Wiccan star and a cross. There is also a Bible, a copy of the Nag Hammadi and a book detailing the modern lives of Gypsies in the Czeck republic. I've read them all cover to cover. There are more too, but I can't tell you all my secrets. Draw your own conclusions.

6. I can simply imagine myself returning to the beach, sticking my toes in the sand feeling the ebb and flow of the waves tugging at my soul to bring myself to tears. I miss it that much.

7. I grew up in a culturally diverse neighborhood and spent my impressionable, high school years at a mostly black high school (Booker T. Washington High, thankyouverymuch.) For most of my childhood, Ma worked at a small Roses store in downtown Norfolk, where the most of the staff and customers were black. As a result, most of the funerals, weddings and holiday gatherings I attended outside of the family were in the homes and congregations of black people. When you consider that my entire family moved to Norfolk from Frog Pond Holler, bringing their thick, hillbilly accents with them, you'll realize why, when I get all wound up about something or worse, get in a verbal altercation, I revert to an accent that has often been referred to as "ghetto hillbilly."

It's not unlike that of "Joy" on "My Name is Earl."

And yes, I prefer to use the term black, not African American. In the neighborhood where I grew up, if someone referred to any of the sweet little old ladies that lined our street as "African American" they would be quick to point out that they were not born in Africa, they were not "African American," they were AMERICAN. You don't call "white" people "European American" do you?

8. I can't make scratch biscuits or gravy to save my effin' life. The dog won't even touch them. Thank heavens for frozen biscuits and those little packets of instant gravy.

9. Mahala Davis is a pen name. My real name is ridiculously country, having been named after my two grandmothers. I don't care if ya'll know my real name, but can you imagine if someone from town were to stumble across my blog? Heads would roll. Namely... mine.

10. I know the meaning of life. When you brush away all the politics, all the "rules" of religion, all the borders, races and other assorted bull crap... it is simply this: Unconditional Love. When you have mastered that one, simple thing, the rest will all fall in to place and you will know true peace.

So there you have it. I hope I didn't rehash too many things I've already told ya'll in the past. If any of you want to tackle ten things, let me know in the comments and I'll give you a little linky love.

As I write this, I'm trying to psyche myself up to not dwell on what may come on Monday. They laid off 5 people Wednesday, then the GM came by and told me and Bubbles to take today off, so you can see why Bossman's comment when I called him today sorta worried me. I've been walking around muttering, "everything happens for a reason" and "when one door closes, another one opens," etc.

Ya'll have a booty kickin' weekend! We'll talk again soon.

Later Taters!