Sunday, November 09, 2008

Loss, Weepies and a Little Partridge Family

Everytime I've sat here to write since yesterday, there's only been one thing on my mind. Something I've been trying to avoid talking about, but it won't go away, so maybe I'm meant to share it.

I've made mention over the past week that I've been having intermittent weepies, brought on by a combination of things. We lost two well known residents in Frog Pond Holler this past week, both prominent business owners. The first, the owner of the spa, who wasn't very well liked by anyone, but his adult children were and out of respect for them, most people did the respectful thing, acknowledging his accomplishments.

Everyone that is, except Bubbles. Listening to her sit over there on the phone with her Bubbahubby, rattling off every reason she didn't like the man, was hard enough, but when she said, "Well.. I wish I could say I was sorry he died, but I'm not," it sort of rubbed me wrong.

It's kind of haunted me all week.

Then, on election night, the owner of the local pub was killed in a car accident while returning from Big City. He rolled his girlfriend's Jeep several times before going off the side of the mountain.

The pub owner was around my age. I never met anyone who didn't like him. He loved rafting and fishing, he'd feed anyone who was hungry and he'd give you his last dollar.

The whole town mourned when he died. I didn't know him, but Ma had dealt with him when she was the assistant director down at the work center for developmentally disabled adults. She was really upset when she heard about the accident.

On Wednesday, when information was being circulated about funeral arrangements, I over heard Thelma and Louise in the next office. They are known to show up at every funeral in town, inviting themselves to sing.. badly.. causing the services to be called to an end abruptly, lest the family be made to suffer any more than necessary.

That's when I heard Louise say, "I ain't a goin' to that funeral. I ain't a singing for him. You know there'll be too many sinners there. I ain't a do'in it."

You see, the pub owner had a problem with alcohol.

The other day, me and Lulu were talking about it. She'd asked me if I'd heard anything else about the accident, then went on to tell me about being in his class in elementary school, how he was in high school, she seemed genuinely upset.

Then, she screwed up her face like people do when they smell something nasty and said, "I didn't approve of how he lived his life."

So yesterday morning when I went to town, pulling over on the side of the road to let the funeral procession pass, listening to the sorrowful sound of bagpipes being blasted from the outdoor speakers at the pub, I thought about what Lulu and Louise had said.

It's like all the good, the positive things you've done in your life don't matter when it's all said and done. All they cared about was that he didn't live up to their standards. In their minds, all of their judgement is justified in the name of God.

Where's the unconditional love? Where's the compassion for his family? Is this how we're really supposed to act? Have I gotten it all wrong?

I guess it saddens me because I'm disapointed. I had hoped that people were better than that. And maybe, I'm just as bad because I'm sitting here judging them.

So on that note, I've been walking around humming this to myself all weekend:


Later Taters!

8 comments:

Marissa said...

I dont think you're judging these people who live in glasses houses. I think you're simply like many of us: You're trying to understand their inability to be compassionate.

BetteJo said...

Wow. I thought most people did the opposite - somebody dies and they forget all the bad things! Hmmm. There's no accounting for it though - people react in different ways I guess. Sorry it's been rough on you though.

Significant Snail said...

Certainly Louise has heard the Bible stories where Jesus embraced sinners??! In fact, we're all sinners, so I guess she's right - there were bound to be sinners at that funeral. You don't have to like someone or agree with how they lived but certainly you can have some compassion for the people who cared about them!

kenju said...

You might remind her of the Bible verse that says "Judge not, lest ye be judged!"

MJ said...

Great post.

All people deserve love, no matter who they are or what they've done.

I believe a person who loves their friends, family, and neighbors is a good person. But loving them is easy.

I believe someone who can love the un-loveable will be the best in God's eyes.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Mahala, don't you know that people who have no self- esteem, try to build some up for themselves by trying to make those around them look bad.

As for 'got to get outta this place'...well there are the same kind of small-minded people all over. There have to be people in Frog Pond Holler that don't think like Thelma & Louise and Bubbles...you just have to get out there and find them. You are a smart girl...and funny...and just as deserving of a good life in that town as anyone so get out there and find it and don't let your own view of your circumstances hold you back. Sometimes we judge our own selves harder than we judge others.

Robbie

Traci Dolan said...

I'm with you on this. I really dislike it when people start speaking ill of the dead and what is this bullcrap about not attending services because there will be sinners there? We all sin! Its a state of natural being for humans to sin! What crap.

A Spot of T said...

People ARE better then that. And they shouldn't attend his funeral if they are going to talk about him like that. I can't believe people haven't put these two in their places yet!