Saturday, October 04, 2008

Kittens, Biscuits and Sausage Tossing

From Hidden Mahala

The air is cool and crisp this Saturday morning. The aroma of steaming, hot coffee wafts through the trailer and there are fresh biscuits sitting on the stove. It's a peaceful easy feeling (with thanks to the Eagles.)

There's sausage too, but it's turkey sausage.. and the biscuits were made with "heart healthy" biscuit mix. Don't tell the Frog Pond Holler aldermen. They probably wouldn't run me out of town, but they might take away my rights to use the town dump.. or worse... have me barred from the diner. It's not that I'm on a big ol' health kick, I just used coupons for what was on sale. Sometimes we end up with some odd combinations at meals, but I figure, unpredictability keeps life interesting.

Right?

Here in the holler, our trailer sits down in a hole of sorts, on a little patch of ground that was once marshy and swampy. Across the road, beyond the vacant lot, there's an embankment that runs up to another stretch of highway. Last night, I dreamed of kittens, some black, some white, running around on that bank, hopping from rock to tree and playing. I blame the Amazon, someone offered her a six-toed kitten at work the other day and she's been bringing it up every chance she gets.

Anywho... so this morning something caught my eye out in the yard. I reckon the regular paper delivery person is off, because there in the grass lay the Saturday paper (wrapped in a plastic grocery bag.. times are hard all over I guess.) We don't normally get the Saturday paper, hell I consider myself lucky if I get the Sunday delivery that I subscribe to. As I bent over to pick it up, something moved across the road, catching my attention. When I looked up, I saw a big, white cat with black spots sitting there watching me. We've seen the cat before, but he usually runs away if you get near him. This morning he just gave me the lazy kitty look while I stood there at the side of the road, in shorts, a stained, slightly ripped tank top and no bra and called, "kitty kitty kitty.. heeeere kitty kitty kitty.. kitty kitty.. c'mere kitty kitty."

I like to keep the neighbors entertained.

The gas situation, here in town at least, seems to be under control. It costs an arm, leg and your first born but it's always been more expensive here than out towards civilization. I'm just thankful we can get it. I was starting to feel trapped amongst the hillfolk.

My plans for the weekend are mostly business as usual, although I will have to include a trip to the library. My books are due back Monday, "Cavedweller" by Dorothy Allison and "Land of Mango Sunsets" by Dorothea Benton Frank. (That's right Ferguson, I can even read!) I had also picked up the only book on photography at the Frog Pond Holler library, but it didn't offer much inspiration. It was probably 20 years old and was more about tripods and shutter speeds than what I was looking for.

I think I'm going to go shove a biscuit under the door and see if I can bribe the Amazon to get her lazy keister out of bed. Maybe I can pelt her with turkey sausage through the hole where her doorknob used to be.

Ya'll have a great Saturday. We'll talk again soon.

Later Taters!

6 comments:

Dianne said...

according to the dream dictionary kittens mean the possibility of getting involved in a social conflict - so behave yourself now!! I don't have bail money ;)

I always love the image of coffee brewing and biscuits baking.

Have a good one.

kenju said...

Yum. You can pelt me with some of it!

Travel said...

I learned the hard way not to throw sausage, it took months to repair all the damage.

The house next door is for sale if you want new neighbors to entertain.

DG

tiff said...

Dude - can we trade dreams? I have one 'afterlife' dream for offer if you'll give me one about kittens.

:)

Hope your Saturday was all that and then some.

Anonymous said...

Is it weird that I read the title as "Kitten tossing?"

poopie said...

Dude...that was totally a premonition about seeing that cat. Love it when that happens!