Saturday, October 25, 2008

Deliveries, Deliverance and Deliver Us

It's a cool, cloudy, sorta gloomy, but sorta cozy Saturday morning here in Frog Pond Holler. I had to get up at the butt crack of dawn to make a run to the post office, they're only open until 10 and I had a notice in my p.o. box that I had a package. Coincidentally, when I traced the package of clothes I ordered on the UPS website, it showed they'd left a notice, yet there was no notice here at the trailer.

It turns out, clothing shipped via UPS to the holler, ends up at the post office. Weird. First the post office, now UPS.. no one wants to deliver anything to your door in Frog Pond Holler.

I think they need to stop showing "Deliverance" on the classic movie channel.

I stopped down at the Pump n' Go on the way back. The Amazon was working and wanted to see the clothes. She was being entertained by Sue, a popular town resident and I suspect, our distant cousin on the sperm donor's my father's side. The three of us were stunned by the scene outside of the gas station, where a young mother had poised her 3 year old atop a tall stool at the one and only intersection in town.

(There was a red light there years ago, but it just caused confusion so they took it down.)

She appeared to be collecting money for some charity, which is fine.. but in what universe does it make any sense to sit a small child on a stool in the middle of the road, in traffic? Even Sue and what most people assume are her limited sensibilities, was livid.

After I left the station, I walked over to the market to get Ma enough Cokes to last a day or two. There I found the bucket placed next to the cash register by the young mother. The little girl was just diagnosed with a brain tumor, there was something about stage IV and happy little picture. I dug down for all the change I had and tossed it in. I still wanted to call the sheriff's office in hopes that they'd make her take the baby out of the middle of the road, but I thought too about what that mother must be going through.

I reckon I wouldn't be acting very rational either.

As I walked back to the truck, I saw the little girl's daddy walking through traffic over to the wooden stool, carrying a tiny pink jacket. I recognized him from the ambulance hut, one of the newer paramedics working the area. He tucked her inside it, kissing the top of her head. I watched him say a few words to his wife, then nodding and rubbing her back before walking back to his truck where he sat watching over them.

I guess he knew she needed to feel like she was doing something, like she was somehow fighting for her baby girl.. and he knew he needed to let her.

As for the baby.. she was having a grand old time talking to everyone. She was the belle of the ball, bouncing up and down, waving and giggling.

Anywho... I think I'll stay holed up in the trailer for the duration. I've had enough of the holler for this Saturday.

Ya'll have a good one!

Later Taters.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Stage IV is probably a glioma, a very deadly kind of brain tumor. I've known 2 people who had it and they both died. I wish I could send you some $ to drop in the bucket, even knowing it's hopeless.

kenju said...

That made me cry. How very sad for those parents.

babyhellfire said...

That poor baby.

Significant Snail said...

Wow. That's really tough. I think her husband was doing the right thing. Who knows, she may be one of the lucky few..the younger you are with these things the better the prognosis.

rennratt said...

You know, you're probably right. Sometimes the least logical choice seems smart under stress.

May that sweet baby land fully in remission, and God bless her parents for doing...well, everything they could think of.

Dianne said...

makes you stop to count your blessings doesn't it ...

I can't get the image of this little family and the stool and the pink jacket out of my head -