Chocolate Gravy and Northern Confusion

To be honest, I'm not all that sure Chocolate Gravy is a hillbilly thing.. or even a Southern one for that matter. I do know I'd never heard of it before we made the great transition from big city life in Richmond, Virginia to life here in podunk central. Oh and by the way, Richmond is part of the South and served as the capitol of the Confederacy. I bring it up because Thelma enjoys calling me a Yankee whenever the opportunity arises and accuses me of "messin' with her" when I explain that although I am from a place north of here, it is not the north.. per se.

I may as well go argue with a fence post. It would get me just as far.

Just for the record, she also once called me a "liberal nazi." I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Anywho, although I've never tried the Southern delicacy called Chocolate Gravy I know it must be really yummy because whenever Lulu mentions it, she pauses, releasing a heavy sigh and her eyeballs roll back in her head. She insists that it must be served with scratch biscuits, not the kind that requires whackin' a can on the kitchen counter and is almost exclusively eaten at breakfast.

Chocolate Gravy

2 cups milk
4 tbsp cocoa
4 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp flour

Slowly heat milk in a small saucepan to just below a boil. In a separate bowl, mix the cocoa, sugar and flour. Slowly add the dry mixture to the milk, mixing with a whisk or fork until thickened. Serve over fresh, hot biscuits.

I'm still waiting for someone to make this for me before I try it on my own. The name "Chocolate Gravy" just seems weird to me. To me, gravy served on biscuits should be gray and lumpy with sausage bits.

Anywho.. ya'll have a good day. We'll talk again soon!