Thursday, April 19, 2007

Fed Up

Normally when I get home from work, I tune in to the local news affiliate for the latest information, but today I'm listening to a documentary.. in a language I don't speak...with subtitles.

I can't bear to hear about the Virginia Tech story any more today. I've watched and listened in quiet horror as every minute detail of the incident is revealed then rehashed and over analyzed. I've seen the videos that the shooter sent in to one of the networks. I've cringed, I've closed my eyes.. I can't take anymore. I can't imagine what it must be like for the families of the people who were killed.

It was.. is.. a horrible thing. A part of me wants to hop in the hippy van and make a mad dash to G'boro to collect the Amazon, even though I know that wouldn't be rational. Life can't stop because this happened. I know it won't go away, but for the people who are grieving right now, I wish I could make it happen. Let them have some peace. Stop glorifying the attacker by plastering his face and his words on every network. It's sick. It's disgusting. It is not about truth in journalism, it's about sensationalism and the almighty dollar.

Hug your youngins.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

a BIG Amen!

kenju said...

I say AMEN too. I watched about 30 minutes of it and that is all I can stand! I heard there is a backlash afoot, especially about NBC showing the guy's videos. I think it was horible of them and if I watched their news, I would boycott them for sure!!

AC said...

I can't take the news either.

But the hugs...that's the ticket. Even if I have to vibe them over the phone.

Loner said...

I'm with you - I don't watch the news AT ALL if I can avoid it. I listen to NPR in the morning, but it doesn't have all those gory details - THANK GOODNESS.