Wednesday, July 20, 2016

5 Favorite Twitter Celebrities


My love for Twitter has ebbed and flowed over the years. When I joined, you didn't "follow" other accounts, there were so few of us, it was just scrolling messages. Over time, celebrities and large companies invaded, Twitter became more commercial and I sort of wandered off, tempted by the wonders of Facebook. I've found myself going back over the past few years.

You'll find Twitter snobs who boast, "I do not follow celebrities," like you can be a social media purist or some chit. Hell, I follow a mess of them and a few follow me back. Below are my favorites and why, because I know you give a rat's patootie:

  • Margaret Cho - Hands down my favorite. Posting a lot about acceptance of others, rallying every worthy cause, this edgy comedian is one of the most down-to-earth people, famous or otherwise, that I've met on the web. Also, she started following me when I cracked a joke about having alopecia of the hooha, so there's that.
  • Roseanne Barr -  Roseanne's not everyone's cup of tea, but I love following her on Twitter. I don't understand about 90% of the political rants she posts. Pictures of her chubby cheeked grandbabies make it worth it. You'll be happy to know that she's still batchit nutso. Maybe that's why I relate. I'd still vote for her for President before Hillary.
  • Carrie Fisher - The queen of the geek movement, Ms. Fisher likes to write all her posts in emojis and pictograms. She makes you work your brain, so see? She's performing a public service. She also posts a lot of pictures of her dog Gary Fisher with his trademark dangling tongue. She "liked" a couple of my tweets, I figure that gives me lifetime geek cred. It takes so little to make me happy.
  • Everyone in, associated with and even remotely connected to the CW show Supernatural - Shut up. Don't look at me like that. I don't even really have a good reason. I could make one up, but it's creepy enough that I'm granny aged and hooked on a show aimed towards teenyboppers. 
  • Cher - The main thing I've learned about this legend since I started following her is, she has A LOT of pent up anger. And never, ever mention Trump to her. Gawdalmighty. She also loves her some caps.

There are a few I can live without too. I've always been a fan of George Lopez, but when he handed me my ass on Twitter, that did it. He generalized that all white people were voting for Trump and I said something about it. Sorry, that's just as racist as saying all Mexicans stand around outside Home Depot looking for work. Lopez can bite me.

Following your favorite celebs can be tricky. Most of them are so abused and insulted by nutbars on social media, that they're gun shy. You have to approach them slowly, careful not to startle them. They're like a stag on the edge of the forest during hunting season. Some are so jaded, they're constantly on their guard. It only takes 140 characters to lose respect for your favorite artist.

Let me know your favorites in the comments below!

Later Taters!




5 comments:

kenju said...

I had so far not succumbed to the delights of Twitter. I love what you said to George Lopez. LOL

Celia said...

This grandma loves "Supernatural." Hmm maybe I'll try getting twitterpated after all. Watching was suggested by two my 9 and 14 year old grandkids.

poopie said...

alas, i do not tweet.maybe i should get with the program~

renn said...

I follow the guys from Supernatural, too. They're a riot!
I also follow and have a long-term love for Ms. Fisher. She's a wonderful woman, and a great writer to boot!

I follow Adam Baldwin, too. I don't necessarily agree with his political views, but I *still* find him hawt. Don't judge me. 😉

My favorite tweeters aren't necessarily famous, but I love them anyway. They are as follows: Fagsy Malone, Refined Ruffian, James Radcliffe, Exploding Unicorn, and Lily Singh.

Mahala said...

I too follow Refined Ruffian and Exploding Unicorn! Twitter can be overwhelming sometimes, but it's where I get most of my news these days.