Friday, July 04, 2008

City Girl Heart

It's quiet and cloudy in Frog Pond Holler this morning. I was up at the butt crack of dawn, but the temptation of cool sheets and fluffy pillows proved to be more than I could take, forcing me to crawl back in the bed, basking in laziness until a few minutes ago. If there'd only been a nice, strong, warm back to snuggle up against, I'd probably still be there.

Oh a girl can dream...

The coffee is brewing, dripping, perking or whatever the hell it does these days to become java-fied. I've got biscuits in the oven and a fresh, red, ripe tomato waiting to be sliced.

Ain't nothin' like a mater biscuit and fresh, hot coffee for breakfast.

It's the big July 4th weekend which means the holler will be full of tourists, cookouts and the grown children of some of the older residents who've moved away and started families of their own, trickling in, showing their technology soaked offspring how the other 1/8th lives. Tomorrow night, the VFD will put on their big fireworks display, one which will make the town and hillfolk ooo and ahh with amazement, and will cause the tourists from far off, big cities, to smile and comment on the "quaintness" of Frog Pond Holler.

The first years after we moved to the holler, Ma, the Amazon and I would go to town for the big street dance and fireworks. During the time that I was over the First Responders on the VFD, I usually got roped in to working on the wienie wagon, selling hot dogs and can sodas, hoping the department would make enough for us to pay the insurance and maybe buy a radio or two in the coming year.

Nowadays, I rarely go to town for big holiday shindigs. The new, the quaintness, the Mayberry factor, have all worn off. The years of trying to fit in, to become one of them, to change who I am, were fruitless. It only makes my big city girl heart long for the ocean waves, the sand between my toes and an ice cold bottle of Michelobe, the sounds of a radio tuned to the local classic rock station setting the mood.

Ah well. I'm sure I'll stay in and watch the Fergburger on on the boob tube tonight. Maybe tomorrow I'll venture out among the masses, take a few pictures, try not to think about how homesick holidays make me.

Ya'll have a great 4th and stay safe.

Later Taters!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bloom where you're planted, Mahala!!! and don't miss out on any smile the day may bring...Your time in the big city will come again but make the best of what you have now. Have a great 4th of July. (Please accept this post in the spirit in which it is written. Age and 'motherdom' get the better of me at times!)

Robbie

Travel said...

Have a nice slow relaxing day, it is afternoon and I am still lounging around in a robe, thinking about taking a mid day nap.

DG

Mahala said...

Aww *hugs* Robbie. I try to "bloom" most of the time, just every so often I have to acknowledge that other part of me.

DG: It sounds like you had a rough week. You have my permission to take as many naps as you want. And there's no sense getting dressed now lol.

Anonymous said...

I love it when you get all introspective. I think lots of us have that other part inside, the one that we try to keep chained up most of the time. And others of us just sell out completely to that and consequences be damned. The 4th is one of the holidays I always try to do bigger and better. But this year we're just gonna chill and hug each other. LOL

Mahala said...

Yeah, sometimes the chain starts to feel a little short..

BetteJo said...

Just remember that strong, warm back comes with expectations and needs care and feeding. I like keeping that kind of thing at an arms length. :)

Have a wonderful holiday - mine will be quiet too.

newduck said...

I definitely sympathize with your longing for the big city. I left 3 years ago and still haven't gotten it out of my system. That said, I would trade a year in the city for a single morning with cool sheets, a fluffy pillow, and the breakfast you just had. Yum. All of it.

kenju said...

I hope you had a good fourth, Mahala, despite it all. We did - with Tiff and a few others. YOu should come and join us sometime.

Mahala said...

bettejo: I'd only want one part time lol. He'd have to feed himself.

newduck: Oooo I did read that poopie post you'd written before, my brain just ain't what it used to be lol.

kenju: Maybe someday I'll get over my social retardedness :)